Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Fuzzy Navel Cupcakes


I've been trying to slowly get the birthday cupcake recipes up, mixing them in with regular meals because one cannot live on cupcakes alone....right? I can remember back to the days when I first started drinking alcoholic beverages, and like many girls, the bottled Fuzzy Navel Seagram's 4-packs were what I went for. Isn't it funny to track your favorites as you get older? 
I decided to turn the Fuzzy Navel into a cupcake because I love the flavor combination of orange and peach, it's so refreshing and perfect for summer!  I kind of made this recipe up as I went along, and though I enjoyed it, next time I'd like to incorporate peach flavor into the buttercream.

Fuzzy Navel Cupcakes

 cupcakes:
2 sticks of butter, softened
2 c. sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
1/3 c. peach schnapps
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Zest and juice of 1 orange
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. peach nectar

Preheat oven to 350*
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar for 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Add schnapps, vanilla extract, salt, baking powder, baking soda and orange zest.
Mix to combine.
Add 1 1/2 c. flour, mix until just combined.
Add sour cream and peach nectar, mix until just combined.
Add remaining 1 1/2 c. flour, beat until all flour is absorbed, scrape down mixer to make sure everything is mixed well. 
(Beat no more than 20 seconds after each addition)
Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners, add batter to cups about 2/3 of the way up.
Bake for 18-22 minutes, until puffed and golden brown, cool for 5 minutes in tins, transfer to a wire rack and cool to room temperature.

Orange Buttercream:
2 sticks of butter, softened
2 lbs. confectioners sugar 
Zest and juice of 1 orange
Pinch of salt

Beat butter, orange zest, juice and salt together in a stand mixer.
Add confectioners sugar 1/2 c. at a time on low speed, add milk or cream to thin.

Ice cooled cupcakes, then top with candy orange slices.

4 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

What an original idea. I really love it. This is my first visit to your blog. I started reading some of your earlier posts and was hooked. I love your recipes and the tone of your blog. I'll be back as often as I can.
I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Joanne said...

I had a fuzzy navel shot once at a bar crawl and it was my favorite of all the crazy drinks I tried that night. Love the sound of these cupcakes!

Sophie @ yumventures said...

The frosting looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Article Writing: Article writing job is excellent for those who have
good control of their verbs. The next thing you have to do is to look for an online marketing network.
There are sites which allow one to set up their own store, come up with unique designs and market the t-shirts.


my weblog :: ways to earn money online