Monday, August 24, 2009

Island Salad with Coconut Curry Dressing



One of my favorite salad dressings is Ginger-Carrot, the kind you get on a salad at a Japenese Steakhouse. When I saw this dressing on Cheeseburger in Paradise's menu, it sounded similar, and I was intrigued. I decided to go for it on a house salad, and it was so delicious.
Though I had this dressing months ago, I haven't gotten it out of my head. Since I had a large lunch, I decided to make a lighter dinner. I had some coconut milk left over, and always keep a few types of curry on hand. One thing I added to this salad that I normally don't is asparagus. They served it on the house salad at CIP, and it was great, so I blanced a few spears and threw them on the salad along with some masala spiced tofu.


Island Salad with Coconut Curry Dressing

Salad:
1 head of romaine, chopped
1 c. mixed cabbage slaw
10 asparagus spears, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 c. mandarin orange segments
1/2 c. snow peas, chopped
4 oz. Firm tofu, any variety, sliced

Dressing:
1/2 c. light coconut milk
2 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne powder
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. brown sugar

Arrange salad ingredients in a bowl.
Whirl together dressing ingredients in a blender, pour over salad and serve.


3 comments:

Creative Classroom Core said...

This sounds delicious! Love the coconut milk :)

Joanne said...

This is definitely a great idea for a salad. The dressing sounds fantastic! I love anything with coconut.

My favorite dressing is that peanut one that all thai places put on their salad. I need to figure out how to recreate that one.

Kelly said...

That looks great. I definitely am one of those people where once I have something great while out it gets stuck in my head and I cannot wait to try it again. That looks fantastic.