Friday, August 14, 2009

Goat Cheese Whipped Cauliflower


For dinner tonight I made black bean burgers in pita, so I wanted to add a side that was a vegetable in addition to salad. Usually with sandwiches or burgers we go for fries or chips, which add up to a lot of carbohydrates. I have been experimenting with preparation methods of cauliflower in hopes that I'll find something JJ will like as he hates cauliflower. I thought about just not telling him this was cauliflower and let him think it was mashed potatoes, but I didn't want to lie to him as he eats anything else I make.
So the preparation for this dish was really easy. Pictured below I have my bowl of cauliflower and JJ's, and though he tried it (only because there was goat cheese in it) he didn't finish that tiny little bowl. He also requested no chunks at all (I left a few little chunks in mine) so you can see the two textures. Honestly, I thought these tasted wonderful, and I'm sure I could fool someone into thinking they were potatoes!


Goat Cheese Whipped Cauliflower

1 head of cauliflower cut into florets
1 c. vegetable stock
salt and pepper
1/4-1/2 c. milk
2 oz. goat cheese
snipped chives or other herbs for garnish

Add cauliflower and stock to a soup pot, cover, turn heat to high.
Bring stock to a boil, turn to medium and simmer until stock has cooked off, about 10 minutes.
Using a potato masher, mash cauliflower until it's in little bits in the pot.
Spoon into a blender or food processor (I used a magic bullet), add milk and goat cheese, salt and pepper.
Puree to desired consistency.
Spoon into serving bowl and serve with chives.
*Note: I made mine in 2 batches in the magic bullet, there was too much to make it all at once.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Those look amazing. I have all the ingredients on hand so I may have to whip these up this weekend. This also sounds like with a little broth it could make an excellent soup.

Ashley said...

I love whipped cauliflower, and adding goat cheese is a fabulous idea!

~Amie~ said...

Oh, my! this looks GOOD!

Anonymous said...

haha, i spend a lot of time trying to feed my fiance veggies he doesn't like too!
cauliflower diced up and baked with a little bit of cheese sauce (cheese + milk+ flour) is tasty...

Future Grown-Up said...

I love roasted cauliflower but this looks even better...thanks for sharing!

Joanne said...

I always wonder how much people's likes and dislikes are psychosomatic. I'm sure these tasted nothing like cauliflower and maybe if you hadn't told him he would have never known!

I personally believe it looks delicious.

Ms2Mrs..back to Ms said...

Looks easy enough. I'll have to grab some cauliflower and other ingredients next time I'm out. And its gluten free! Thanks Ash!!!