Thursday, May 22, 2008

The New Food Pyramid!

Ahhh, muffins! What could be better? Hearty, a little sweet, filled with sweet berries... yum! Katie had been raving about her dad's muffin recipe, so I gave it a try 2 weeks ago, but we ate all the muffins before I could take a photo! Oops! I had to make them again! The first time I used her recipe exactly, but this time I didn't have all the ingredients so I changed it a little.
Thanks, Katie's dad, for the most fantastic muffin recipe EVER!!!
PS - To my ladies, this is the new food pyramid that will be used for Carbfest '08 :)


Katie's Daddy's Famous Bluberry Muffins!

Ingredients:
4 1/4 c. flour (1 1/3 c. oat four, 1 c. whole wheat, 2 c. all purpose)
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp baking soda
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
3/4 pint blueberries fresh frozen (I used raspberries this time)
1 1/2 c. water
3 heaping Tbsp yogurt (I used part skim ricotta)
1 Tbsp butter, melted and slightly cooled
3 Tbsp oil
3 eggs (2 whites, one with yolk)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp dried orange zest (I used lemon)
sprinkle sugar on top
Directions:
-Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare a nonstick muffin tin with baking spray.
-In medium bowl, add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and whisk to combine.
-Set aside.-In blender (or, if you're me...your stand mixer) add yogurt, water, butter, oil, eggs, vanilla, orange zest and sugar and blend until completely combined.
-Pour wet ingredients into a large bowl (or just keep them in the stand mixer bowl).
-Add blueberries to dry ingredients and toss to combine.
-Slowly fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients with a large wooden spoon until just combined (there will be small bits of flour still present).
-Spoon batter into muffin tins, dividing evenly (you are filling these all the way up. Almost OVER full. Trust me, they are big, but they won't spill over if your baking powder is good.)
-Sprinkle sugar over tops of each muffin (about 1 tsp per 6 muffins)
-Reduce oven temp to 375 and bake until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean, about 20-23 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, be still my heart! lol. Seriously, these look AMAZING. like REALLY amazing. What a great idea to use the raspberries. They look so great with that wheat colored dough. YUM! I can't WAIT for Carb Fest 08! lol. :)

Anonymous said...

DEFINITELY putting these on the list for Carb Fest 08!! lol These look SO yummy!!!