Saturday, February 9, 2013

Warm Millet Salad with Brussels Sprouts and Creamed Mushrooms


I feel so behind the times admitting this, but this was my first time cooking with millet. It reminded me very much of cous cous, but it's a grain, so it's popular in the world of gluten-free diets. In the little research I did, I found that it's mostly used as bird feed, so... yum! Another CSA box, another stalk of Brussels sprouts to work with. While I occasionally get stressed about finding new and exciting recipes to feature using them, and yes I realize this is totally a First World Problem, it's awesome when I finally find something I know we'll love!

I used the Whole Foods recipe bank search and stumbled upon this salad. It's very hearty and filling, I just added a few strips of dijon grilled tempeh for some protein (they're not pictured). This did seem quite dry at the end with just 1/4 c. half and half, so I added a bit of vegetable stock to moisten it. I also subbed fresh thyme for the sage as it's what I had on hand, and finally, a large handful of shredded Swiss cheese, because everything's better when it's topped with cheese!

Warm Millet salad with Brussels Sprouts and Creamed Mushrooms

1 c. dry millet
2 c. vegetable stock
1 tsp. butter or olive oil
1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved or quatered
1/2 red onion, thickly sliced
3 c. sliced mushrooms (I used cremini)
1/4 c. half and half
1/4 c. vegetable stock
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 c. shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese
Kosher salt and black pepper

Heat a medium pot over medium-low, add millet and toast for 2-3 minutes.
Add 2 c. stock, turn to high, bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low, cover and cook millet until all liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. 
Turn heat off and leave covered on the stove.
Add butter to a large saute' pan over medium-high, add Brussels sprouts and onions, season with salt and pepper.
Saute' for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add mushrooms and continue to stir, after mushrooms have let go of their liquid and begin to caramelize, add half and half and thyme, stir and turn heat off, taste and adjust seasonings. 
Transfer millet to a serving bowl, toss with lemon juice and fluff with a fork, add up to 1/4 c. stock if millet seems too dry.
Add vegetable mixture, stir gently to combine.
Top with shredded cheese. 

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I recently ordered six BAGS of millet from amazon...so yeah, I'm looking for ways to use it up! This salad sounds heavenly!