Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Crisp and Crunchy Brussels Sprout Salad


After the recent roasted fall salad I made was a hit with both my husband and daughter, I decided to make another variation this past week. Again, I began with roasted Brussels sprouts from the CSA as my base, and used one of my favorite flavor combinations to compliment them, apples, blue cheese and walnuts. I made a simple maple-dijon dressing, and used it as a marinade for some pan seared tempeh strips. This salad was equally delicious, but had a lot more crunch and a fresher flavor due to the raw apples. We ate it warm/room temperature, but I'm sure cold leftovers would taste great. I just saw I've got another stalk of Brussels in this week's share, so I'm sure in another week, you'll see another Brussels sprout salad!

Crisp and Crunchy Brussels Sprout Salad
Veggie by Season original

1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed
1 tbsp. olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 apple, any variety, cored and diced
1/4 c. crumbled blue cheese
1/4 c. toasted walnut pieces
1 8oz. package of tempeh

dressing/marinade:
2 tbsp. maple syrup
2 tbsp. dijon mustard
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper
1/4 c. sliced scallions

Preheat oven to 400*
Add toss Brussels sprouts in olive oil, salt and pepper on a cookie sheet, roast for 25-35 minutes, tossing occasionally, until browned.
Whisk together all dressing ingredients, add half to a bowl and toss with sliced tempeh.
Preheat a nonstick skillet to medium heat, add tempeh slices and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes.
Add Brussels sprouts to a serving bowl, toss in apples and nuts, top with tempeh strips, blue cheese, and drizzle with remaining dressing.
Serve warm or refrigerate and serve chilled later. 

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I love brussels and maple mustard together...and brussels and apples...so this sounds wonderful!

Ashley said...

Ditto what Joanne said. This looks wonderful!