Saturday, February 2, 2013

French Onion Soup Risotto


After thoroughly enjoying the Dirty Cauliflower Risotto I made a few weeks ago, I've been dying to make another red wine based risotto. Once again it was a Friday night, the eve of grocery shopping, and I had to scrounge around the fridge and pantry to make dinner. I was in the mood for French Onion Soup, but we had no bread in the house. I contemplated making bread, but it was already seven o'clock and I was hungry! I had pasta, rice and potatoes on hand, and decided risotto would be fantastic.

This risotto was absolutely delicious, very creamy and flavorful. If you're not vegetarian, you could certainly use beef stock as that's a more traditional way to make French Onion Soup, but I love the Rapunzel vegetable stock cubes with herbs. This would be a great side dish for a dinner party, but it's quite substantial on it's own. To make it a complete meal, I'd serve it with a nice salad, some crusty bread and add cannelini beans to the risotto (stir in just before serving). But for a smaller meal, it's perfect as is.

French Onion Soup Risotto
Veggie by Season original

2 tbsp. butter
2 small or 1 large yellow onion, peeled, quartered and sliced
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 c. arborio rice
1 tbsp. cognac
1 c. dry red wine
1 bay leaf
2 fresh sprigs or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
2-3 c. vegetable stock
1/2 c. shredded Gruyere cheese

Heat a deep skillet over medium-low, melt butter and add onion.
Stir occasionally, and allow onions to caramelize for about 10 minutes.
Add rice, stir and allow rice to toast.
Season with kosher salt and black pepper.
Add cognac and red wine, turn heat to medium-high and allow wine to reduce by half, stirring as it reduces. 
Turn heat back to medium-low, add bay leaf and thyme.
Add ladles full of stock every few minutes as it is absorbed by rice, stirring well after each addition. 
After the rice is plump and isn't absorbing stock, turn heat off, stir in 1/4 c. of the Gruyere.
Dish into individual bowls, sprinkle with remaining cheese and serve.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I feel like I'm constantly craving French onion soup but never get to make it! This risotto is the perfect fix.