Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Watermelon Radish Salad with Avocado Viniagrette



A few weeks ago when I got the weekly email from my CSA Farm and saw Watermelon Radishes were in our share, I was so excited. I have seen these elusive radishes on other blogs before, but haven't seen them at the farmer's market or in the grocery store. I'm really not a fan of radishes, but this particular type of radish looks so pretty and neat that I had to try it.  It was spicy, crisp, and beautifully pink. I did a little browsing for a recipe so I could actually show you a fun way to prepare it, and came across this one from Williams-Sonoma. It's very simple, and really showcases the bright, fun radish. The avocado cools down the spice and offers a nice creamy alternative to the crunch of lettuce and radish. The lemon brightens the salad and the cilantro - also in my share this week - adds a nice spice.

Watermelon Radish Salad with Avocado Vinaigrette

1 shallot, finely diced
1 1/2 tbsp. fresh lemon jice
1 1/2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
Salt, to taste
1 avocado, halved, pitted and sliced
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 head of romaine lettuce, washed and torn into large pieces
1 watermelon radish, thinly sliced
1/4 c. chopped cilantro

In a small bowl, whisk together shallot, lemon juice, vinegar and a pinch of salt.
Add the avocado slices and gently toss with finger tips, season with salt.
Add the olive oil and whisk to create a vinaigrette.
In a large bowl, arrange lettuce and radish slices.
Add avocado and pour the remaining vinaigrette over salad, top with chopped cilantro.
Serve immediately. 

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I'm SO not into radishes but I could be convinced with one as cute as this!