Monday, December 31, 2012

Cranberry Cornbread




I generally don't take samples in grocery stores. I can't remember the exact news program, but it was one of those scare tactic types that tell you how many germs are found on sample tongs, leaving them as clean as a toilet in a gas station. However, when I was at Whole Foods a few months ago and saw the baker cutting samples and putting them out first thing in the morning, my breakfast-less stomach grumbled and I had to give the blueberry cornbread a try. My life hasn't been the same since.
Seriously, if you haven't tried WF cornbread, RUN to the nearest store and try it! They have a few varieties, and they're all phenomenal  The blueberry is my favorite, but it's not blueberry season so I went with cranberry. While I'd call Whole Foods' a cornbread-cake, not a bread, this is somewhere in the middle. It's not quite as sweet or tender, but I think that's due to much less sugar and oil. We'll be enjoying this with some black eye peas and greens tomorrow for the New Year. Happy 2013 to everyone!

Cranberry Cornbread
inspired by Whole Foods, Veggie by Season original

2 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. unbleached all purpose flour, separated
1 c. cornmeal (I used Arrowhead Mills Organic Corn Meal - it's very fine)
2 c. fresh cranberries

Preheat oven to 350*
Line a pan with parchment (I used a springform pan, any will do) and coat with nonstick spray.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and oil. 
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together baking powder, baking soda, salt, 1 c. flour and cornmeal.
Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, gently whisk until dry ingredients are almost incorporated.
Toss cranberries with 1/4 c. flour, add to batter.
Using a spatula, gently fold in cranberries, then spoon batter into pan.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden and puffed in the center.
Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack to room temperature, serve.




1 comment:

Joanne said...

I try to avoid sampling also, but occasionally I try the beverages at whole foods when they're sampling them. They seem more sanitary somehow...

This cornbread sounds delicious! I'm trying to figure out a greens and beans recipe to make today and this really would be the perfect accompaniment!