Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas Colors Salad



In my CSA share last week was a green with red speckles all over it, and I thought to myself, how fitting to get a Christmas color lettuce this week! It inspired me to create a salad full of red and green ingredients, and a little white 'snow' on top. I love eating fun, restaurant like salads at home, but never plan them out enough to make sure they have a variety of toppings. This salad would be a great first course for a dinner party this holiday season, or for any time of year!

Christmas Colors Salad
Veggie by Season original

1 head of lettuce, washed well and torn
2 small red beets, roasted, peeled and cut into wedges
1 granny smith apple, cored and sliced
1/2 c. pomegranate arils
1 avocado, diced
1/4 c. toasted nuts (pistachios would be great, but I had walnuts)
1/4 c. crumbled goat cheese

Dressing:
1/4 c. pomegranate balsamic (or any aged balsamic)
1 tbsp. honey
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper

Arrange lettuce in a salad bowl, top with apples, beets and avocado.
Sprinkle pomegranate arils, nuts and goat cheese on top.
Whisk together dressing ingredients, drizzle half of dressing over salad, serve the rest on the side.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I rarely make salads because I can't get excited about them without all the fun mix-ins. But this sounds (and looks!) awesome.