Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Caprese Salad & The Olive Leaf


If you're a long-time reader, you know that this blog began when I lived in the frozen tundra of Bloomington, Indiana! My husband was working on his masters at IU, and worked for the IU baseball team (when they were B1G 10 champs!). We have many fond memories there (favorite restaurant), and have kept in touch with many friends from there. In fact, I recently was crowned champion of a Fantasy Football league run by a friend from Bloomington! But enough bragging... let's get to the food!

During Thanksgiving, my family took a trip to Greensburg, Indiana, to meet with some friends from Bloomington for lunch and to exchange Christmas gifts. My friend, Vickie, gifted me with a set of gourmet Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil. She told me to check out the website, and after trying the oil and vinegar, I did! The Balsamic vinegar she gave me is Pomegranate Balsamic, it's sweet, syrupy, tangy and delicious. The oil she gave me is the Cilantro and Roasted Onion, which is bright and full of flavor. I'm not usually one to dip bread in oil, but I could use a baguette as a sponge to sop it up. Vickie even mentioned making grilled cheese with it once... definitely on my "to-make" list!

Now The Olive Leaf has no idea who I am, this post isn't sponsored, but if you're looking to support a local Bloomington company, and try something insanely delicious, check out all of the varieties they offer! If you're a Bloomington local, head on over, try it out, and tell me how wonderful it was so I can live vicariously through you! I just saw they even offer tasting parties!

To showcase these products and use some of the delicious tomatoes from my CSA share, I made a simple caprese salad for Christmas brunch that was divine.

Caprese Salad
featuring The Olive Leaf products

4 large tomatoes, in wedges 
8 oz. fresh pearl mozzarella
1/4 c. basil chiffonade
Kosher salt and black pepper
1/4 c. Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Arrange tomatoes in a bowl, season with salt and pepper.
Arrange mozzarella balls, sprinkle with basil.
Drizzle with balsamic and olive oil, serve.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Those sound awesome! I'm definitely going to go check it out. My salads are about to get way more interesting.