Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Hazelnut Black Bottom Chocolate Pie


For the final dessert on Thanksgiving, I knew I had to make something chocolate-y. Basically, whenever my sister Kristine is in attendance, chocolate is a requirement. I found this pie recipe while browsing the web, but decided to make it a little bit different. I'm not a big fan of rum with chocolate. I prefer rum in my fruity desserts. I decided to raid my mom's liquor cabinet for a substitute. I settled on Frangelico because it's a hazelnut liquor and I'm a big fan of chocolate hazelnut biscotti.
I'd say this dessert was ranked second for the night, just behind the cheesecake. It's funny how the more creative, less traditional desserts were actually favored. However, most people chose a small piece of a traditional pie and a small piece of the cheesecake or chocolate pie.


Hazelnut Black Bottom Chocolate Pie
slightly adapted from epicurious

Filling:
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
6 large egg yolks
2 cups low-fat milk
1/2 cup chilled whipping cream
6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons Frangelico
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Chocolate Crumb Crust:
2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs (I used TJ's chocolate cat cookies)
1 stick of butter, melted
1 tbsp. granulated sugar

Whipped Cream Topping:
1 cup chilled whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 tbsp. Frangelico
Chocolate curls

For crust:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Toss all ingredients in a bowl, press into a pie plate.
Use a glass or measuring cup to pack down.
Bake for 12 minutes.
Cool to room temperature.

For Filling:
Whisk first 4 ingredients in heavy medium saucepan to blend.
Whisk in egg yolks to form thick paste.
Gradually whisk in milk, then cream.
Whisk over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and boils 1 minute.
Remove from heat.
Add chocolate and whisk until smooth.
Whisk in frangelico and vanilla.
Cool 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
Transfer filling to crust.
Chill until cold, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.

For Topping:
Beat first 3 ingredients in large bowl until firm peaks form.
Spread over chocolate pie filling.
Garnish with chocolate curls.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I LOVE hazelnut. This may be making it onto our Christmas menu,

Anonymous said...

I'm all about chocolate. This looks delicious!