Saturday, November 1, 2008

Cous Cous, Asparagus and Chickpea Salad with Walnut Dressing


For my last Moroccan meal, I decided to do a giant dinner salad. I love to have salads for dinner when I know we're eating late or I just feel like I want a lighter dinner. I love this one because it's vegetarian, and has many of my favorite veggies! The author doesn't say anything about this recipe, but it does contain many traditional Moroccan ingredeints - like walnuts, cous cous, lemon, chick peas, and paprika. I hope you've enjoyed my Moroccan selections this week!


Cous Cous, Asparagus, and Chickpea Salad
with Creamy Walnut Dressing

2 bunches asparagus spears
2 1/4 oz. snow peas
1 head of butter lettuce
1 bunch of curly endive
2 c. prepared cous cous
10 oz. chickpeas
Sweet paprika, to dust

Dressing:
1/4 c. walnuts
1/2 c. lowfat plain yogurt
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1 tbsp. thyme leaves (fresh)
Salt and pepper

To make dressing: Place all ingredients in a blender and blend for 1 minute or until smooth. Keep refrigerated.

Steam asparagus and snow peas for 2 minutes, shock in cold water, drain and set aside.
Arrange lettuces on a platter, place cous cous in the center, top with snow peas and asparagus, chick peas, and dressing. Dust with sweet paprika.

No comments: