Friday, August 23, 2013

Layered Mexican Cornbread


This recipe should probably be called "The Cornbread that's Lucky to be Blogged"
It all started a year ago... I made a pot of chili for a friend who was ill, and wanted to include a dipper. Corncakes are our usual (layer it on the bottom, chili on top, so good!), but I didn't think they'd hold up as well. I searched and found this Layered Mexican Cornbread, and it sounded great! 

I baked a loaf of it, cooled it, then stored it in a plastic bag on the kitchen table. Well, this was around the time Violet earned her nickname "Hurricane Violet" because she loved (and sometimes still does) to run through the house, pulling things off of tables, counters, chairs, etc. The cornbread never stood a chance. However, in a way I'm glad she did it because JJ and I ate the crumbled cornbread mess, and it was amazing! 


Like so many dishes do, it fell off my radar and wasn't made again. Last week, I decided to try to make a new chili recipe (coming soon!) and remembered this cornbread. This time, what made me second guess blogging it was it's a Paula Deen recipe. I'm sure everyone knows the Paula scandal, and after reading some of the court documents myself, I'm grossed out by her, her family, and their "well, it's how we were raised" BS. So while I won't be supporting her at all in the future by purchasing anything of hers (if there's even anything left to purchase?), I don't think this recipe supports her in any way. I really hope like so many Food Network Star recipes it was really made by the test kitchens because WOW, is it good!

The first time I made it, I did exactly as written, but the second time, I subbed Greek yogurt for the butter and used green chiles rather than jalapenos because Violet would be eating it, too. The substitutions made it just as good as the original, though I did like the heavy spice from the jalapenos.  I am quite sure this recipe won't be forgotten, and will be our new chili pairing in the future!

Mexican Layered Cornbread
slightly adapted from Food Network

1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. cornmeal
2 tbsp. baking powder
2/3 c. milk
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. nonfat greek yogurt
1 tbsp. honey
2 scallions, sliced thinly
1 14 oz. can creamed corn
1/2 c. corn kernels (defrosted, if frozen)
1 c. grated cheddar
1 4 oz. can diced green chiles or diced jalapenos

Preheat oven to 350*
Grease a 8"x8" square or 10" round pan, set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, salt, yogurt and honey.
Add flour, cornmeal and baking powder.
Fold in scallions, creamed corn and corn kernels.
Pour 2/3 of the mixture into the pan, spread in an even layer.
Top with the cheddar and chiles, then add remaining batter, spread evenly over top.
Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden on top and a toothpick stuck into the center comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes, then slice and serve wamred.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

You can almost certainly rest assured that Paula didn't actually create this recipe....I know someone who used to work at the Food Network and almost none of the chefs did their own recipe creating, ironically enough. This does sound amazing. I'm such a sucker for cornbread so it is certainly getting made!

Jodi Runs & Stuff said...

This looks so good! I can't wait to try it out if it ever gets cooler here.