Friday, August 9, 2013

Green Beans with Garlicky Shiitakes



A common theme among posts these days seems to be recreating things I've eaten while at restaurants. I don't think I go out to eat that much, maybe once a week, but with all of the travel I've done lately, it's been more than usual. I had the great opportunity to spend some time with my best friend from high school while I was crashing at my parents' house in Cincinnati. We met for lunch each Friday for 5 weeks, and this was definitely the highlight of those meals out. While looking up places near the office, I found Brown Dog Cafe. The menu looked great, and the food was exceptional.

I had the grilled vegetable sandwich and got the green beans as my side dish. Green beans are one of my favorite vegetables, and this preparation took them over the top! It was super garlicky with earthy shiitake mushrooms in a light vegetable broth, but the green beans were still the highlight of the dish. I will definitely be making these again and again, they're easy enough for an average dinner side, but fancy enough to serve for a holiday or fancy dinner party.

Green Beans with Garlicky Shiitakes
adapted from Brown Dog Cafe
Serves 4 as a side

1 lb. green beans or haricot verts, trimmed
1 tbsp. butter
4 large garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
6-8 oz. shiitake mushrooms
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 c. vegetable stock
Parmesan cheese, for garnish

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt and drop in green beans.
Cook to al dente, then drain and rinse in cold water to preserve color and crisp.
In a large saute' pan over medium heat, melt butter and add garlic and mushrooms.
Saute' for 5-7 minutes, until mushrooms begin to brown and garlic is soft - do not let garlic burn!
Add green beans and stock, cover and bring to a simmer, remove from heat.
Pour green beans into a serving dish, top with grated parmesan cheese.

3 comments:

Jodi Runs & Stuff said...

I just bought green beans and garlic today... I think I'm going to have to try this out!

Joanne said...

I don't know that I've ever really been WOWed by green beans...but these look quite promising!

Ashley said...

These look wonderful, and I have a package of shiitake to use up. This just might be on the menu this week Yum!