Saturday, December 31, 2011

Apple Cider Snickerdoodles


Just when I thought I was finished making Christmas cookies for the year, I realized Violet and I never made any to leave out for Santa! While I know she won't remember making them for the next several years, I will, and I love creating traditions with her. 

While Skyping with my sister in Geneva, she told me I should make Apple Cider Snickerdoodles, she saw the recipe pop up in the Food Network's 12 Days of Cookies. It just so happened that I had 1/2 gallon of apple cider in the fridge to use up, these cookies were meant to be! 


I strapped Violet in the Bjorn and we got to work!

These cookies were delicious. The apple cider added such delicious, fresh flavor, which can be hard to get in a cookie. Thanks for the recommendation, Becky! Santa loved these cookies.

Apple Cider Snickerdoodles
adapted from Food Network

1 1/2 c. apple cider
2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter at room temperature
1/2 c. granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
1/4 c. packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. apple pie spice (or 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ginger, 1/8 tsp. cloves, 1/8 tsp. nutmeg)

Preheat oven to 400*
Bring apple cider to a boil in a small sauce pot, reduce to medium and simmer until reduced to about 2-3 tbsp. of syrupy liquid.
In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar.
Scrape down sides, add apple cider and egg, beat until mixed well.
Add remaining ingredients except apple pie spice.
Beat on low until mixed dough comes together.
Mix 1/4 c. granulated sugar with apple pie spice in a shallow dish.
Break dough into walnut sized balls and roll in sugar, place on cookie sheet lined with parchment, and press gently.
Repeat with remaining dough.
Bake cookies for 12 minutes, cool on pan for 2-3, then on a wire rack until they're at room temperature.
Store in a cookie jar, or on a plate for Santa!

5 comments:

Lisa G. said...

Wow! Just this morning I was thinking about Snicker-doodles and also how I had let the fall go buy without making any apple treats. And then here you, your sister and the Food Network are with one answer for both my dilemmas!

Joanne said...

first of all, you look AWESOME! And violet is the cutest! I just want to kiss those cheeks!

The snickerdoodles sound fabulous...all my favorite flavors of fall...but in an anytime kinda cookie!

Kelly said...

I adore cooking with apples & cider so these sound absolutely amazing to me. I also think that developing traditions even if your daughter may be too young to remember them right now is great. Even if she doesn't, I'm sure one day when she's older she'll enjoy hearing about them.

50cc mopeds for sale said...

Apple Cider Snicker doodles is such a very testy recipe and i like to eat this recipe for my breakfast.

Anonymous said...

These cookies look delicious, and Violet is absolutely adorable! Ryan and I welcomed our daughter, Lucy, on November 20. It seems like just yesterday we were all in college together, and now so many of us are married with families! I hope you all are doing fabulous!