Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Minced Cauliflower with Peas




Cauliflower is one of my absolute favorite vegetables, and one of my husband's least favorite. Now that we're going into his busy season, I'll be eating many dinners alone. If you've been very observant in the past, I'm sure you can follow the pattern of his work schedule by what we/I eat! Cauliflower's peak season is December through March, but I've never seen it at the Farmer's Market. However, organic has been cheaper than normal at Whole Foods, so that's what I went with. 

Peas are a freezer staple for me not only because they're one of my favorite vegetables, but because they are quick cooking, and add a bright, fresh punch to any recipe. My brand of choice is Cascadian Farms Organic Frozen Peas, they always have coupons floating around, and they're only pennies more than conventional frozen peas. I served this dish with naan and spiced chickpeas for a complete meal, and made a sort of burrito, but it would be great over rice with big chunks of tofu. 

Do you have any favorite cauliflower dishes? 

VBS Tips and Trades:
-Garam Masala is a mixture of Indian spices. Try making your own with spices on hand rather than buy a bottle. Here is a simple recipe!
-To grate your cauliflower with ease, use a food processor fitted with the shredding attachment. You'll finish in a fraction of the time! 

Minced Cauliflower with Peas/Gobi Ka Kheema
adapted from Food For Thought (retired blog)

1 head of cauliflower, cleaned and cut into small florets
1 tbsp. EVOO
1 small yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves 
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 c. tomato puree
1/2 c. peas 
1 tsp. garam masala (or less, to taste)
Salt and pepper
Greek Yogurt
Cilantro

Fit food processor with grater attachment.
Run all cauliflower through.
Heat a skillet over medium-high. 
Add oil and cauliflower, season with salt and pepper.
Replace grater attachment with a blade, add onion and garlic, pulse to chop, then run to mince.
Add the onions and garlic to cauliflower.
Toss and brown vegetables, turn heat to low.
Add bay leaves, cumin, tomato, garam masala and more salt and pepper.
Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Taste, adjust seasonings, add peas, remove from the heat.
Spoon into a bowl and serve with greek yogurt and cilantro.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

I guess this is one good thing about JJ's job keeping him super busy at times - you get to eat all the food that he would normally balk at. I love the sound of this dish. Feed me anythign with Indian spices and I'm in heaven.

emerzim said...

I love roasted cauliflower! I chop it up and add salt, pepper, minced garlic, and a little olive oil and roast it at 350 for about 30 minutes. Really good. Also good with a little butter instead of oil and the addition of sage. Yum!

Cara said...

I love cauliflower too! I've never prepared it minced like this, but I bet it's great with the peas and spices.