Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fettuccine with Heirloom Tomatoes and Capers



I've become the master of cooking for one. I understand the lack of motivation to cook a meal from scratch when you're single, but since I so frequently am faced with this scenario, I've grown to realize that there is no reason to not make a great meal for myself. In fact, I take the opportunity make the meals I know my husband won't be crazy about when he's gone, in this situation it's anything pickled! 

When I looked over this recipe, I knew the only change I would have to make was eliminate the anchovies. Because their salty bite was out, I doubled the capers and added another garlic clove. What made me most excited for this recipe was the thin slices of garlic cloves. I'm the girl who seeks out chunks of sautéed, roasted, or even raw garlic when I'm eating! 

I love making fresh pasta, mixing the egg in with my fingers, kneading the dough, running it through the roller and then cutter, it's so relaxing to see a few simple ingredients come together as perfect pasta strands. I have a basic $20 pasta roller with two cutting options, fettuccine or spaghetti. Because the capers, tomato and garlic had some chunk to them, I chose to make fettuccine because it's thicker and holds up to chunky sauces better. 

This pasta bowl was so delicious: well balanced in flavors, light but still hearty and filling, fresh and summery. Thanks to Joanne for this selection from Live to Cook for our Symon Sundays group.

Tips and Trades:
-Because this dish has so few ingredients, use the best quality available, such as fresh organic, free range eggs and plump, juicy, vine-grown tomatoes, it will make a big difference in flavor. 
-If you're not opposed to using anchovies, but don't want to use whole fish, try using anchovy paste, available on the Italian foods aisle of the grocery store.

Fettuccine with Heirloom Tomatoes and Capers
adapted from Chef Symon's Live to Cook
Serves 1

pasta:
1/2 c. unbleached all purpose flour
pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
1-3 tbsp. water, as needed

1 tbsp. EVOO
3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced very thin
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 large Heirloom tomato, diced
2 tbsp. capers
5 basil leaves, torn
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp. coarse breadcrumbs (I smashed up a crouton!)

Place flour on a clean counter top, make a well in the center.
Add egg yolk and salt, whisk with fingers and incorporate flour into egg.
Add water as needed to make dough come together, it should be slightly sticky.
Knead for 5 minutes, set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
Using a pasta roller, roll into a flat sheet (I rolled on setting 3).
Use semolina flour, for dusting, if sticky.
Rest dough sheet for 5 minutes.
Run through the fettuccine cutter, set pasta aside.


Bring a pot of water to a boil.
Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat.
Add EVOO, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes.
Sauté for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
Add tomatoes and capers, season with salt and pepper.
Drop pasta in salted, boiling water.
Cook pasta for 3-5 minutes, use tongs or a pasta spoon to transfer directly to skillet with sauce.
Add basil and toss pasta and sauce.
Plate, top with breadcrumbs.



Thank you to Joanne for selecting this week's recipe. You can see all of the Symon Sundays participant's pasta at their blogs.
Joanne: Eats Well with Others
Natashya: Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
Kim: Stirring the Pot

4 comments:

VegeCooking Club said...

GREAT job on this one Ash. I have yet to make my own pasta but I faced the truth that I probably need to wait just a little while till Gabby gets a bit older. Also, LOVE the new background!!! It's so easy to read.

Kim said...

Your homemade pasta looks so delicious! Good call doubling up on the capers - I love those little salty jewels:)

I thought this was a fantastic recipe!!

Joanne said...

More capers is what I ALWAYS say!

As a single girl who cooks for herself ALL the time, I have to say that it's actually kind of nice to be able to cook what I want when I want it.

Your fettuccine looks great Ash!

NKP said...

Beautiful! I love the homemade pasta. I like fat ribbons too.
Looks delish!