Friday, May 28, 2010

Limoncello Cupcakes


As part of my Birthday cupcake party, I made these Limoncello cupcakes. I love Limoncello, so naturally when I was choosing drinks to model my cupcakes after, I had to find something lemony. As luck would have it, Tartelette had a recipe specifically for Limoncello cupcakes on her blog. I used her cake recipe, which was so delicious. I've never cooked with cream cheese in the cupcake, only the frosting, so that was new. I loved how light these were, so fresh and perfect. 
Tartelette's recipe is written in grams and for 12 cupcakes, but I made a 2 dozen and re-wrote the measurements. I also used regular lemons, where Tartelette used Meyer Lemons.

Limoncello Cupcakes with Swiss Meringue Buttercream and Lemon Curd
rewritten from Tartelette

cupcakes:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cups sugar
6 large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup Limoncello, at room temperature
3 cups AP Flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk, well shaken
1/2 cup lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 350*
Add butter and cream cheese to the bowl of a mixer and whip until well mixed.
Add sugar, and beat for 3-4 minutes, until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until well incorporated.
Add limoncello, baking powder and salt, beat until incorporated.
Alternately, add buttermilk and flour, starting and ending with flour, until just mixed (do not overmix!)
Add lemon juice and zest, mix until just incorporated.
Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners, fill 2/3 full.
Bake for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.


Swiss Meringue Buttercream, by Martha Stewart

To finish cupcakes, ice with piped buttercream, drizzle with cooled lemon curd, and top with a lemon drop.


6 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Ah! These seriously look so awesome! I am trying to decide what desserts to make for a luau coming up and I keep finding AWESOME options like this! Thanks!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) said...

I've been into everything lemon lately, it's so refreshing on these warm days. Those cupcakes look fabulous. I've never had Limoncello, but I bet it flavors these perfectly.

Jenn

Joanne said...

These cupcakes look luscious! I've heard about using cream cheese in dough but haven't actually done it myself. I guess if you can add sour cream and yogurt then why not cream cheese?

Devon said...

These were RIDICULOUSLY good, by the way.

Unknown said...

I had a bottle of limoncello I never used so decided why not make cupcakes. I used the entire bottle as the liquid. Zowie they were potent but so delicious!

fred said...

I love Limoncello cupcakes and cakes and just limoncello. I use organic HelloCello, Limoncello di Sonoma made with agave it makes baked goods more moist. Also a fresh limoncello is amplified when baking. make sure you pour yourself a glass to enhance the baking experience. cheers!