Sunday, October 4, 2009

Tropical Granola


When I saw this recipes on Annie's Eats a few weeks ago, I starred it in my google reader and knew I'd have to make it at some point. When I decided to make granola for Becks, I had to do it! It's so different from any granola I've had before, and so so so good! Annie hit the nail on the head with her flavor combinations. I made a few changes because of what I had on hand or forgot to buy! I hated buying macadamia nuts because they're so expensive, but they were well worth it in this recipe.

Tropical Granola
by Annie of Annie's Eats

4 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup mashed banana
2/3 cup applesauce
½ tsp. salt
Dash of cinnamon
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, lightly toasted
1 cup dried pineapple, chopped
1 cup dried banana chips, chopped
½ cup toasted macadamia nuts, chopped

Preheat the oven to 300.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
In a bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, mashed banana, applesauce, salt and cinnamon.
Whisk until very smooth.
Add the oats and stir gently with a spatula until the oat mixture is evenly coated.
Spread on the prepared baking sheet in an even layer.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Using a large, wide spatula, turn sections of the granola over on the baking sheet.
Bake for an additional 15 minutes, until nearly completely dried.
If your granola layer is thick, you may need to bake it a bit longer, removing the edges that have cooked completely but making sure the center is done.
Cool in the pan for about 15 minutes, then crumble into a large airtight storage container.
Add toasted coconut, dried pineapple, banana chips, and macadamia nuts to the container.
Seal and shake well until everything is evenly combined.

2 comments:

Annie said...

So glad you enjoyed this! Man, I need to make it again soon - so yummy :)

Anonymous said...

I will be making this granola asap. It reminds me of home. Yum.