Saturday, September 19, 2009

Warm Butternut and Chickpea Salad with Tahini


Lately my posts have been few and far between. I'm not sure that I've really announced much on this blog since it's directed towards cooking, so I'll go ahead and spill the beans... First, I got a new job, second, we bought a house, and third, I am going to be a food blogger and foodie dining club host for Folio Weekly, a magazine here in Jacksonville.
Because I've taken on a job and a half and have been going through the home buying process, I've had little to no time in the kitchen. When I do, I'm not in a creative mood, I just cook my favorite, go-to meals. We'll be closing on the house between October 15 and 23, it just depends on when we get the word from our mortgage company (the sellers of the house would like it sooner, we don't care too much). So in addition to the jobs, I'll be moving....again! Luckily this time it's 2 miles away, not 1000.
The kitchen is not my dream kitchen, but it's great nonetheless because it's MINE! The house is everything JJ and I dreamed out first home would be. It's open and bright, great for entertaining, a lovely yard and a pond that's half ours with ducks! We're both so excited, and so fortunate that the home buying process this far as been so easy and drama-free!
Now about the Folio Weekly job... essentially I will be blogging about 3 times per week on anything and everything food/wine related in Jacksonville. I'll be doing restaurant profiles, going to farmer's markets, tastings, food and wine events, and many other things! The real focus of the blog is to be a central place for members of the Bite Club to chat. You can read all about what the Bite Club is here on the Bite Club Blog. If you're in Jacksonville, please don't hesitate to contact me if you have ideas for the blog!


Now for dinner... I have been meaning to make this recipe for such a long time. I never seemed to remember it when I had tahini on hand though, and at $10 a jar, I didn't want to buy it just for this. Now that I've had it, I will. I could eat this every day and every night. The only problem I had with it was sometimes I love raw red onion, and sometimes I pick one out that's just too strong. Tonight I had one that was too strong. In the future, I'll probably roast my onion in with the squash and garlic. This salad is definitely on my rotation! It's so creative and features one of my favorite fall flavors, butternut squash!
I first saw this recipe on Molly's blog, Orangette, years ago, and was reminded of it by Erin of Dinner and Dessert last week.


Warm Butternut and Chickpea Salad with Tahini
adapted from Molly of Orangette

salad:
3 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2" pieces
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Salt
15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained
1/2 of a medium red onion, finely chopped
¼ cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves

Dressing:
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp. tahini
1 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil.
Add squash, garlic, salt, and onions, if preferred.
Drizzle with EVOO, toss.
Bake for 20 minutes, remove and cool.
Whisk together dressing ingredients, add chick peas, cilantro and red onion, mix.
When squash cools, add to the salad and gently fold in.
Serve at room temperature.

6 comments:

Angie Eats Peace said...

This looks really good!

Just wanted to say congrats, again, for all the positive things going on!

The Food Librarian said...

Congrats on all this exciting news!!! And this dish looks delicious!

Peabody said...

I love the idea of the squash with the tahini, bet that is tasty!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Congrats on all the exciting news with the house and blog gig! This dish looks wonderful and I love that this is a flavorful meatless meal!

Joanne said...

I feel like this salad has totally made the rounds over the years and every time it does, I forget to make it! And I have tahini on hand. So no excuses this time.

Congrats on everything, I am so excited for you!!

Erin said...

Looks delicious! I loved this! Congrats on everything! My brother and sister in law live in Jacksonville. It's a great city and there is lots to do there (and many good restaurants!).