Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tex-Mex Squash and Bean Bowl

For dinner tonight, I was once again faced with my remaining 3 lbs. of butternut squash. I decided to make a big bowl of comfort, using some pantry items, and combining some new flavors. Organic canned beans were on sale at Whole Foods, so I really stocked up. I thought black beans seemed to pair the best with Butternut. I also had an avocado and queso fresco, so Tex-Mex seemed to be the way to go! This dish was so filling (I assume this is because the squash and beans are so high in fiber), but it was also full of flavor, and very healthy.


Tex-Mex Squash and Bean Bowl

3 cups diced butternut squash
1 tbsp. EVOO
1 tbsp. light brown sugar
Salt and pepper
1 tsp. chili powder or adobo sauce
1 15 oz. can of organic black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, minced
Juice of 1 lime
1 Avocado, sliced
1/2 cup crumbled Queso Fresco (or Monterey Jack, Goat Cheese, anything you have on hand!)
Tobasco sauce
Chopped cilantro

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment.
Add squash, oil, sugar, salt, pepper and chili powder. Toss to coat.
Roast for 25-30 minutes, until squash is caramelized.
Add beans to a soup pot with 1/2 cup water or stock.
Season with cumin and salt.
Bring to a simmer over low heat.
When squash is cooked, remove from the oven and plate.
Squeeze lime juice into beans, then spoon over squash.
Top with avocado, cheese, cilantro and hot sauce.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Can I tell you that I bought not one. Not two. But 12 POUNDS of winter squash at whole foods last week. It was on sale for 99 cents a pound and I am an impulse buyer. This looks like a great recipe to use some of it up! I love the avocado and queso. They make any meal a good one for me.

Kelly said...

I have so much squash on hand as well. I've been having a hard time making it through all my CSA produce each week so stocking up on things that keep well (like squash, onions, garlic, and sweet potatoes) has been my latest plan. This looks like a great use for squash. I also happen to love cooking with adobo sauce. It adds so much flavor.

Velva said...

Nice combination of flavors! This really shows what folks can pull together just from their pantry and extra produce. This dish was fresh and healthy. Thanks for sharing.