Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Sweet Potatoes with Cranberries and Cilantro


As I said in my recent Brussels Sprouts post, I've been working my way through many of the delicious looking recipes in the November Everyday Magazine issue. There are many foods that Violet has loved one day and hated the next, but sweet potatoes have always been a trusty fall-back food for me. I was worried she might not like the cilantro mixed in with the potatoes, but she gobbled it right up. The lime zest and juice adds a great brightness and the cranberries are plump and sweet from the cooking method. I think next time I make this I might actually use fresh cranberries, but if they're out of season, dry are fine. We all loved this dish, and it might end up making it back to our Thanksgiving table! 

Thanks to all who entered the give-away, our winner is Carrie. Please email me at veggiebyseason@gmail.com. 

Sweet Potatoes with Cilantro and Cranberries

2/3 c. dried cranberries
3 tbsp. olive oil
3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 tbsp. sugar (omitted with dried cranberries, would use with fresh)
1 tsp. lime zest
3 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes cut in 3/4" cubes
1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp. ground  cumin
Salt and pepper
1/4 c. chopped cilantro

Preheat oven to 450*
In a small saucepan, bring cranberries, lime juice, sugar and 1/4 c. water to a boil, add zest and cover, remove from heat.
In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, coriander, cumin and 3 tbsp. olive oil, toss to coat potatoes. 
Spread on a large sheet pan and roast for 15 minutes.
Pour cranberry mixture on potatoes, toss to coat.
Roast for another 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
Remove from heat and toss with cilantro, serve. 

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I'm pretty sure I could eat the whole PAN of these!

Natalie said...

what a fantastic side dish!

bubblegum casting said...

good post!

bubblegum casting said...

great!!