Sunday, September 29, 2013

Portabella and Mozzarella Panini




So far, I've been really happy with the restaurants Boise has to offer. But I can't lie, I miss Panera! I didn't go there that often, but there are a few things there I just absolutely love, like this sandwich. I haven't had it in a while, but was craving it this week. I completely got help with this entire sandwich, so it's more of a construction than cooking, but the flavor combination is so delicious! 

Panera presses the sandwich, but I don't have one here, so I just broiled it on each side to toast it and pressed it with my hands. I used a Rosemary Focaccia  from the Whole Foods Bakery, which makes it more authentic, but any bread choice would be find. I also used the grilled portabella caps from the hot bar, which make this sandwich cheaper and less work, since portabellas are about $2.50/each! Finally, fresh mozzarella isn't necessary, but it is so good! We enjoyed this sandwich with French Onion Soup.

Portabell and Mozzarella Panini
copycat Panera Bread recipe

1 loaf of Focaccia bread, preferably with Rosemary
3 portabella caps, grilled or roasted with salt and pepper
1/4 red onion, grilled or roasted with salt and pepper, sliced
4 oz. fresh mozzarella pearls or sliced from a large ball
10 fresh basil leaves, torn
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar

Slice Focaccia loaf in half, place on a baking sheet, broil for 2-4 minutes, until slightly toasted and golden brown.
Toss portabella caps in red wine vinegar, arrange in a layer on focaccia, top with onions and mozzarella.
Place bread with toppings back under broiler, broil for 3-5 minutes, until mozzarella has melted.
Sprinkle torn basil all over the mozzarella, place top of loaf on the sandwich, and broil for another 1-2 minutes, until toasted.
Slice and serve immediately, preferably with your favorite soup. 

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I dont' go to Panera as often as I'd like but I do looovveee it. And miss it. Somehow I've never had this sandwich. (?!?) But I will happily make it at home!

bubblegum casting said...

Yea gotta try this sandwich!