Thursday, September 29, 2011

Fruity Carrot Salad


Growing up in New York and Ohio, I never was around a Chick-fil-a. When I went to school in North Carolina, one opened just before my freshman year, and everyone raved about it. They were very generous with their coupons being handed out around campus, so JJ and I went one night. It was by far the best fried chicken I've ever had from a fast food restaurant, and the pickles just make the sandwich that much better, in my opinion! After the novelty wore off, we rarely went. But it always seemed that when we were craving Chick-fil-a, it was a Sunday. Does that happen to anyone else??

I hadn't been back in a couple years, but JJ had a gift card to use, so we went on Saturday afternoon. I decided to just pair a few side dishes and make a random meal. I was intrigued by the carrot salad, hoping that it was similar to my favorite carrot salad from Bloomingfoods (I miss you!), which has a bit of tang. When I took a bite of Chick-fil-a's, it was like candy! It was good for a few bites, but then far too sweet for my liking. Turns out, this is quite a popular salad combination! I looked online and found that most recipes called for carrots, raisins, pineapple, sugar and mayo. I don't like mayo, and didn't think it needed added sugar, so I tried to make it a bit healthier and not quite so sweet. The result was a very earthy salad with bits of sweetness. Exactly what I was looking for! 

Fruity Carrot Salad
inspired by Chick-fil-a

2 lbs. carrots, peeled and shredded
1/4 pineapple, in a small dice (you can also used canned, tidbits or crushed, I prefer fresh)
1 c. raisins
1 c. plain yogurt
2 tbsp. - 4 tbsp. honey, depending on taste
Pinch of salt

In a small dish, whisk together yogurt, honey and salt.
Add carrots, pineapple and raisins to a bowl, toss with yogurt mixture.
Refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours, serve

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I have to admit, raisins are not generally my thing but I bet I would love this with some dried cherries. Yum.

Joanne said...

I've never had Chick-Fil-A though there IS one in Manhattan now! I'll make sure to avoid this salad...after all, I'm pretty sure I'd love your version more.

Stiney said...

This really doesn't have anything to do with the post but I really wanted to ask. Which Farmer's Market do you go to? I live in Jacksonville also and the only one I know of is the Beaver Street one and they NEVER have as nice stuff as you talk about. THANKS!

VegeCooking Club said...

Yes everyone seems to love chick-fil-a. I'm with Joanne. I think I would love this salad even more!