Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Roasted Tomatillo and Sour Cream Enchilada Casserole


It's not very often that I repeat a dinner recipe. I'm constantly on the search for new things, so a dish has to be really good, or a classic that we love, to be made time and time again. I made this dish about a month ago, with a chicken variation and a bean and pepper variation for company. The enchiladas looked gorgeous, rolled well, and tasted great. However, as it often happens when I have company for dinner, I forgot to photograph the food. I made a mental note to photograph the leftovers the next day because I made 2 full trays, but this time JJ and I were so ready to eat the delicious enchiladas that I forgot!
Last weekend when I was at the farmer's market, one of the vendors had enormous baskets of tomatillos, and he talked me into buying them. I figured I'd make this enchilada sauce again, and finally, hopefully get a photo. Well when it came time to roll the tortillas, they were all cracking. To avoid kitchen-rage, I decided to make it into a tortilla lasagna instead. Not exactly a pretty photo, but this enchilada sauce is just too good not to share! It tastes great no matter what you fill the enchiladas with (I've used grilled, tequila-lime chicken, homemade refried pinto beans with roasted red peppers, and roasted garlic smashed pinto beans).

Creamy Roasted Tomatillo Enchilada Sauce


10 small/medium tomatillos; remove husks and wash; cut into halves or quarters
2 jalapenos, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
Olive oil
Salt
1 cup cilantro
1/2 cup light sour cream

Combine the first 5 ingredients in a baking dish.
Roast at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until tomatillos are tender.
Remove from oven, cool for 5 minutes.
Add roasted veggies (and the water that cooks out), cilantro and sour cream to a blender, puree.
Taste and adjust seasonings.

To assemble, either layer tortillas and fillings with sauce, top with cheese and bake until melted or dip tortillas in sauce, roll around filling, top with extra sauce and cheese, bake.

Again, not pretty, but the sauce is just so good!

6 comments:

VegeCooking Club said...

That does sound great. I'm tend to add meat if Chris is eating dinner so I bet this would be great with the chicken in it!.

Tasha said...

When I rolling up the corn crepes, it made me think of enchiladas and I've been craving them ever since! This sauce sounds amazing!

Kelly said...

I'm the same way! I rarely make things multiple times even if they were really, really good. I think part of that comes with having a blog as I always want to have new things to write about. However, sometimes I do think back to something I've made and really, really loved and feel like I should be easier on myself and bring it back into rotation.

Sophie @ yumventures said...

I have been hunting for an amazing enchilada recipe! I have never cooked with tomatillos, and have actually been a bit intimidated by them, but this might make me take the plunge :)

Joanne said...

I love the tartness of tomatillos and salsa verde! What a great sauce for enchiladas.

Jaysus said...

Hey just thought you might want to see what you inspired me to whip up from this recipe. I just decided to add chicken and take out the sour cream all together. Shredded Chicken Enchaladas