Monday, September 22, 2008

Butternut Squash, Apple and Stilton Phyllo Tart


I made a tart similar to this a few months ago that I loved, so I decided to add to it and change it up a bit. I added apples because I had half an apple from the salad left over, and squash and apples are delicious together. I saw a recipe for butternut squash puree with stilton on top, so I chose to top this with stilton. I used phyllo because I don't add butter between the layers (just a bit of nonstick spray) and it still comes out great and is low-fat. The bottom layer stays moist with a thin spread of goat cheese. This is the most perfect accompinament to a bowl of soup or my harvest spinach salad!

Butternut Squash, Apple and Stilton Phyllo Tart

20 sheets of phyllo
Nonstick cooking spray - butter flavor
1/4 log plain goat cheese
1 large butternut squash, peeled, cut into disks
1/2 granny smith apple, sliced
1/4 c. crumbled stilton
Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Place a steamer over boiling water. Drop in squash disks. Steam for 5-10 minutes, or until fork tender.
Lay out a tart pan, spray with nonstick spray.
Lay 2 sheets of phyllo on tray, spray with nonstick spray, rotate 90 degrees, lay another, and repeat until the bottom is completely covered and phyllo is used up.
Spread goat cheese thinly and carefully on the bottom. Layer on squash, then press apple pieces in between. Top with stilton, salt and pepper.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

5 comments:

Sandreane said...

Hello Ashlee,

Frist, I hope that you undrestand my english, 'cause I study a long, longa, long time ago :)
Well,I meet your blog and I'm very happy with this discovery :)
Congratulations for recipes, and I'll visit your place another day,ok?
Hugs to you!

That Girl said...

The combo of squash, apple and stilton makes my heart sing. I can't wait to try this.

Unknown said...

YUM :)

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

Very creative. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

This is something I really wanna try.